Headphone Rest


I like my headphones. But most of the time, when I'm not using them, they sit on my desk, all up in my arm space, as you can see in the pic above. You can also see my computer screen loaded with icons, and asking me for a password for a wireless router. Damn you, neighbors.

For about a year now, I've wanted some sort of headphone stand to have them sit nicely when not in use. I finally had some scrap supplies, so I got crackin.


These are all the supplies I used. I had this metal pegboard-ish thing. I don't know what it's called. I know when this is in a rectangular "beam" that it's called "grid beam." I'll call it grid slice. I had some nut and bolt combos laying around, 3/8" which fit perfectly into the grid holes. So I grabbed a 3/8" drill bit and got to work.


I first decide where I want to bend this bad boy. I need to fit two bolts into it, and they've got big heads. So I need room enough for the bottom and third hole. I decide that bending right around the middle hole will be fine enough. I put on my sexy work gloves and...



Bend it, holmes. So now it's time to drill.


I figure out exactly where I want to put the hook on the side of my desk. I'm going to have to keep it a little lower, so that the bolts don't hit the drawer of my desk. After I figure out about where I want it, I mark it with a pencil, and start to drill.


Outside.


Inside.

You'll notice that some of the surrounding wood around the hole has chipped off. This is common with this weird particle board stuff that most furniture is made out of now. Don't get me wrong, I've had this desk for over 10 years, and it's held up nicely. But it's still fake, like my college degree.


So I pop that screw into the bent grid slice and the hole, and then put a little pencil mark in the bottom hole. I drill the second hole, and then put the second bolt through.


I nut 'em up and this bad boy is done.



They sit a little low, but still easily within reach of my arm when I'm sitting at my desk. This took me all of 15 minutes, and more of that was trying to document the process than anything else. The materials, I'd estimate, cost about 3 dollars total. I think this is a very simple solution to a space problem that many people have when they use full-ear headphones.

Look out for way less functional stuff from me in the very near future.

This entry was posted on December 01, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Responses are currently closed.